Friday, January 15, 2010

A WONDERFUL GIFT

One of the wonderful benefits of the Tim Holtz cruise this fall was having the opportunity to make new friends and spend time with other creative women. This cruise was also the first time I've been a part of an ATC swap. For those of you who don't know what an ATC card is, it stands for Artist Trading Card and it is based on a very simple concept. An ATC card is the size of a card from a deck of playing cards (think Hearts, Spades, Poker, Black Jack, etc.) and past that it really has no rules. It can be anything you want, using whatever types of media you feel comfortable using. The only real rule it has, is that it has to be given, not sold. So imagine 150 creative women making cards to trade with each other and with Tim, Mario, and Wendy! Not all of us made cards, but those who did were very generous and very creative. Since I signed up for the cruise about 4 weeks before departure, I didn't have time to make any cards, although I decided that I would try to make some after the cruise to share with several of my fellow cruisers. Watching everyone swap cards and show their collection of cards was a lot of fun, and one of my new friends, Kathy E., made a vest of ATC cards that she wore on the ship. Amazing! My other favorite was Mario's card... a copy of the shipping labels for all the boxes they had to send with supplies. Hysterical! It still makes me smile.

This week I received an ATC from Karen (aka KeyChain) that she made using some pretty cool techniques, and some interesting products. Rather than try to describe it, I thought I would post a picture of it so I could share it with all of you. What the picture doesn't show as well is that the right side of the card with the likeness of Mona Lisa is very textural, so I asked her what she did to create it and here is what she said:

"I spread a thin layer of Gesso on the card, made an impression using a clean stamp. Added a thin wash of paint after it had dried."

I thought it was a really nice look and worked really well with the other products she used on the card. I'm kind of an earth-tone girl, so the whole card really appealed to me. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. :-) She also helped me increase my ATC collection (now that I have more than four, I can call it a collection, can't I?). Thanks Karen! Can't wait to see you at the show and you can tell me what else you used on this card... [wink]

Until tomorrow everyone, keep the faith!
~Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment